Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 73, Elijah Baldwin (ca. 1718-1766) and Elias Baldwin (fl. 1760-1781), Shoemakers Account book, 1760-1781 (Bulk dates: 1762-1768), 0.15 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 73
Account book of Elijah Baldwin and his son, Elias, who were shoemakers in Newark, New Jersey. The account book is indexed.
Elijah and Elias Baldwin were probably descendants of John Baldwin, Sr., who received tracts of land in Newark at the time of its founding on the condition that he make shoes for its inhabitants. One of John Baldwin's sons was Nathaniel Baldwin, who had a son named Elijah around 1718. Elijah Baldwin married, had at least eight children, and died on January 28, 1766. One of Elijah's sons was Elias Baldwin.
If this Elijah and Elias Baldwin are indeed the right ones, they seem to have followed in their ancestorís footsteps and were shoemakers in Newark. It is possible that another son of Elijahís, Nathaniel Baldwin, was also in the family business.
The source of this collection is unknown. The collection is titled Elijah and Elias Baldwin, and from loose documents in the volume, it is clear that the businessman or men were Baldwins. There are, however, notes inside the volume addressed to Nathaniel Baldwin, another son of Elijah Baldwin and also a shoemaker.
This collection consists of an account book of a shoemaker. The pages contain the name of the account and each entry lists the date, job, and price. While entries in the journal date from 1760-1781, the majority of the transactions took place between 1762-1768.
There is an index located in the front of the book that lists the names and page numbers of the accounts. The pages are numbered on the top of the left page. There are pages sewn into the rear of the volume, along with a number of loose papers, some addressed to Nathaniel Baldwin, that record additional account information. The loose papers have been left inside the account book.
See other shoemakers' records.
Processed by Kim Charlton, November 1999 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society