Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 130, Thomas Nesbitt (1760-1819), Merchant
Record books, 1787-1826, 0.75 linear feet / 21 volumes
Call Number: MG 130 + Box and Folder Number
Twenty-one volumes of daybooks and account books kept by Thomas Nesbitt, a merchant who operated in Millstone, Mount Pleasant, Plainfield, Raritan Bridge, Scotch Plains, and Springfield, New Jersey. Thomas Nesbitt was born in County Armagh, Ireland and came to America in 1784. His brother, Hugh, became a business partner of John Ralston and his son, also Hugh, married Ralston's daughter.
Gift of Mrs. E. J. Rood, 1927.
Thomas Nesbitt (1760-1819) emigrated from County Armagh, Ireland to the United States in 1784 probably with his brother Hugh Nesbitt. He eventually settled in New Jersey, moving progressively west over the years from Springfield, Scotch Plains, and Plainfield, then probably part of Essex County (now in Union County) to Millstone, Mount Pleasant, Raritan Bridge, and finally Somerville, in Somerset County. He married, had at least one son, Hugh, and operated a general store in Somerville and probably other towns in New Jersey (it is unclear how many stores he had because of changing town names and borders).
On January 27, 1818, Hugh Nesbitt (d. 1827), Thomas’s son, married Mary Ann Ralston, the daughter of John and Margaret Ralston, also from County Armagh, Ireland. John Ralston, who lived in Mendham, New Jersey (part of which was later called Ralston), was a merchant and the partner of Hugh Nesbitt, Thomas’s brother. Hugh (d. 1827) joined his father’s business in Somerville until Thomas Nesbitt’s death in 1819, at which time he moved with his family to Mendham where he became a farmer and businessman. Hugh and Mary Ann Nesbitt had three children before Hugh’s death in 1827. Their only son was named after Mary Ann’s father, John Ralston Nesbitt.
Hopler, Martha G., et al. The Mendhams (Mendham Township Committee: Brookside New Jersey, 1964), pgs. 83-89.
This collection was donated by Mrs. E. J. Rood of Mendham, New Jersey in May 1927 (accession numbers M2226).
The Thomas Nesbitt Records consist of twenty-one volumes of daybooks, account books, and a notebook, used in Nesbitt’s general store. The record books date from 1787-1826 and document the purchase or barter of dry and wet goods, such as butter, molasses, handkerchiefs, buttons, rum, and spirits. The volumes are arranged by record type and then by date.
The collection contains sixteen daybooks, dating from 1787-1826, and labeled with the various town headings of Springfield, Scotch Plains, Plainfield, Millstone, Mount Pleasant, Raritan Bridge, Somerville, and Mendham. The series of daybook entries from the last town, Mendham, date from 1821-1826, and are probably from either Thomas Nesbitt’s brother, Hugh Nesbitt, who ran a store in Mendham, or from his son, also named Hugh, who lived there. The daybook entries are chronological and record customer name, purchase, and price.
The collection contains four account books, dating from 1788-1816. Two of the volumes were labeled as "Ledger C" and "Ledger F," while two have missing covers and are therefore unlabelled. The volumes all refer to other ledgers, for example "Ledger E." The accounts are by customer and contain debit and credit sides, the former of which includes date, item purchased, and price, while the latter includes date, and how the debt was paid, for example "by cash," "by bushels of corn," or "by work at a wagon." Each of the account books contains an index.
The remaining item in the collection is a small notebook containing a list of boarders, a recipe for dying fabric or yarn blue, and an "account of work at the sawmill." The notebook dates from 1810-1813.
See the records/papers of other merchants.
OS = Oversize
Processed by Kim Charlton, September 2000 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society