Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 148, North River Meadow Company, Shrewsbury Township, NJ
Record book, 1820-1832, 0.1 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 148 (os)
Minutes and financial accounts of a company founded in Shrewsbury Township, Monmouth County in order to protect its membership's meadow, marsh, and swampland from North Shrewsbury River flooding.
The North River Meadow Company was founded in Shrewsbury Township (Monmouth County), New Jersey in 1820. The task of the company was to protect its membership’s meadows, marshes and swampland from the North Shrewsbury tidal flooding by constructing a dam and floodgate system on the North Shrewsbury River.
The company membership annually elected officers that included the positions of president, secretary, three construction and maintenance managers, and a three-person committee charged with financial management. Among the office holders listed in this volume are: Ruben Shreve, Gabriel West, Edmund West, John A. Taylor, Joseph A. Taylor, Thomas Morford, Thomas Morford Jr., George Morford, John Curtis, Isaac Morris, John Truax (Truas, Trueax), Joseph Truax, Asher L. McQueen, John Cook, and Aron (sic) R. Jones.
The source of this collection is unknown.
This volume contains both the financial accounts and minutes of the annual meetings of the North River Meadow Company from 1820-1832. The financial accounts include a list of property owners who would benefit from the tidal regulation of the North Shrewsbury River, the amount of affected acreage for each owner, and the value of their property. The volume then contains an account tracking each property owner’s payments to the company. The accounts are indexed.
The minutes of the annual meetings of the company consist of progress reports and election notices of officers.
Processed by Luis Delfino, October 2000 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society