Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 181, Estate of Daniel Tichenor (1748-1831)
Vendue book, 1831-1832, 0.05 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 181 (os)
Ashbel W. Corey acted as executor. Daniel Tichenor was a Revolutionary War officer and a brother of Isaac Tichenor (1754-1838), a governor of Vermont.
Gift of Mrs. Alex M. Linnett, 1921.
Daniel Tichenor (1748-1831) of Newark, New Jersey was the son of Daniel Tichenor (1704-1776) and Susanna Guerin (1714-1778). He married Abigail Coe (1742-1826), with whom he had seven children: Rachel (1769-1849), Sarah (1771-1776), Phebe (1772-1777), Isaac Coe (1778-1850), Sarah (1779-1851), Gabriel (1781-1855), and Abigail (1788-1861). Danielís brother Isaac Tichenor (1754-1838) served as a justice of the Vermont Supreme Court from 1790-1797, was elected governor of that state from 1797-1806, and was a United States Senator from 1815-1821.
Daniel Tichenor served in the Revolutionary War as a lieutenant in Captain Elephalet Johnsonís regiment, and fought in the battles of Monmouth and Connecticut Farms. Afterwards he became a farmer in Newark, and his family lived in a large house on Broad Street, the lot extending from Tichenor Street to Pennington Street. The family were members of The First Presbyterian Church.
The executor of Daniel Tichenorís estate was Ashbel W. Corey, and the estate seems to have been divided among Danielís five living children.
Tichenor, Harold A., Tichenor Families in America, (privately printed, Napton, Missouri, 1988), pg. 49-54.
Mrs. Alex M. Linnett donated this collection in 1921.
This volume contains records of auctions of the estate of Daniel Tichenor dating from 1831-1832. Typical items sold were livestock, farming tools, household items, and hay. Inserted in this volume are receipts, a list of items given to Danielís heirs, and a letter written by his son Gabriel regarding his fifth of the estate.
Processed by Luis Delfino, March 2001 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society