Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 219, City of Newark Records, 1714 / John Ogden, Jr. (1743-1815) Journal, 1787-1791 /Stone Carting Records, 1804-1813
Journal and Records, 1714-1813, 0.2 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 219
In addition to Ogden's "Journal of the Weather and Other Remarkable Events," there are Newark town records, 1714, a Newark Indian deeds of 1744/45, and an account of an unidentified teamster, 1804-1813.
Gift of Henry Congar, 1902.
Biographical Note: John Ogden, Jr. (1743-1815)
There were numerous Johns and Jonathans in the Ogden family. The J. Ogden, Jr. in this collection is possibly Captain John Ogden, Jr. (1743-1815). Captain Ogden was a great-great grandson of John and Jane Ogden, immigrants who came to America from England in 1640. His parents were Judge John Ogden of Newark (1709-1795) and Hannah Sayre.
John Ogden, Jr. married Rhoda Pierson and they had ten children together. He fought in the Revolutionary War on the patriots’ side.
Historical Note: Newark
In 1666, a group of Puritans from Connecticut founded the town of Newark on land they had purchased from Indians. Throughout its early history, the town of Newark expanded in population and size as settlers continued to buy land both from Indians and other settlers. In 1673, Newark came under Dutch control and in 1679, it recognized the jurisdiction of Governor Sir Edmund Andros of New York. It is not until 1713, however, that Queen Anne granted a charter for the town and the boundaries of Newark were established.
Newark contained many patriots and the town was hit hard during the Revolutionary War. Both of its churches, the First Presbyterian Church and the Trinity Church, were burned, along with its school, Newark Academy. The town rebuilt and continued to flourish.
Newark was founded at a key location for travelers going to or coming from New York City. The stagecoach, and later the steamboat, would bring much business. Other early businesses included leather making, shoemaking, jewelry, quarry stone, saw and flour mills, iron, tool making, and apple cider.
Eventually, the town of Newark was divided and smaller towns, such as the Oranges and Bloomfield, were created. The town of Newark was incorporated as a city in 1836.
This volume was a gift of Henry Congar, 1902.
The volume seems to have been used at a number of different times for a number of different reasons. There is an inscription on each inside cover of the book. One reads, "A Book for y Town of Newark Bought May the 12th anno domini 1714, precium 16:6." The other reads, "Ogden, J.: Journal, 1787-92."
There are four sets of records in the volume. Reading from the side inscribed by J. Ogden there are: a) a copy of an Indian deed, and b) J. Ogden’s journal. Reading from the other side there are: c) Newark town records and minutes, and d) account records for a stone carting business.
Processed by Kim Charlton, October 1999
The New Jersey Historical Society