Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 265, Newark, New Jersey
Voting Registers, 1812-1813, 1840-1842, 1853-1854, 0.15 linear feet / 3 volumes
Call Number: MG 265(os)
Lists of voters and election returns for Newark, 1812-1815, and for its South Ward, 1840-1842, 1853-1854.
Gift of David A. Hayes and William A. Whitehead
As Newark, New Jersey changed from an agricultural producer and market village into an industrial town in the early half of the nineteenth century, its population grew to the point that changes in its governance were necessary. In 1833, there was no building large enough to contain a town meeting, and steps were made toward municipal incorporation drafting a town charter. In 1836, the town charter was adopted by election, and Newark was divided into four separate wards for political purposes, named the East, West, North, and South Wards, which were composed of smaller districts. By the 1850ís, the wards were divided further and given number designations.
Elections in Newark were overseen by an election judge, and a number of election inspectors. Registration and vote counting was done by an election clerk.
Joseph Atkinson, History of Newark (William B. Guild, Newark N.J., 1878).
New Jersey Index of Wills, Vol. 1 (Genealogical Publishing Company, Baltimore, 1969).
A History of the City of Newark, New Jersey, Vol. 1 (Lewis Historical Publishing, New York, 1913).
These volumes were gifts of David A. Hayes and William A. Whitehead, date unknown.
This collection consists of three voter registers: a citywide volume dating from 1812-1815, and two South Ward volumes dating from 1840-1842 and 1853-1854. Annual or bi-annual elections were held for offices such as electors of the President and Vice president of the United States, members of the House of Representatives, Mayor, Aldermen, Freeholders, Assessor, Sheriff, Town Council, General Assembly, School Committee, City Clerk, Surveyor, Coroner, and Election Judge.
The citywide volume contains the names of registered voters in five elections and was kept by election clerk Silas Hayes (fl. 1812-1815). The volume from 1840-1842 for the South Ward contains the names of registered voters in four elections and was kept by election clerk James J. Carter (d. 1875). The last volume for the South Ward contains the names of registered voters in two elections and was kept by election clerk Moses B. Coe (1802-1871).
Processed by Luis Delfino, June 2001 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society