--
Back to Home
Home
Who We Are
Visit Us
Explore Our Collections
Selections From The NJHS Collections
Museum: Artifact Collections
Archives: Documents, Manuscripts, & Photographs
Library: Published Books, Periodicals, & Maps
Other Resources
Do History
For Teachers
Get Involved
--
-- Manuscript Group 454, Condit-Dodd Family Papers, 1757-1925 (Bulk dates: 1757-1851)

Archives

Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs

Manuscript Group 454, Condit-Dodd Family

Papers, 1757-1925 (Bulk dates: 1757-1851), 0.2 linear feet / 3 folders

Call Number: MG 454 + Folder number


Summary:

Includes Essex County deeds, a military commission signed by Governor Joseph Bloomfield, and a copy of the autobiographical sketch of the Reverend Aaron Condit (1756-1851).

Gift of Miss Jessie P. Condit, 1961.

Biographical Note:

Aaron Condit, a descendent of John Condict who immigrated to Newark in 1686 from Great Britain, was born on August 6, 1756 in what was Newark and later became known as Orange, New Jersey.  Due to financial difficulties caused by the Revolutionary War and a large family, he moved in with his uncle, Silas Dodd (d. 1830) at the age of 11.  In 1782, he moved in with his brother John.

Aaron Condit entered the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) as a junior in 1787 and graduated in 1788. After his graduation, he taught at the Orange Academy in Orange, New Jersey, until 1790 when he was licensed by the Presbytery of New York in Morristown, New Jersey.  He was ordained as a Reverend in 1793.

On April 28, 1794 Reverend Aaron Condit married Mary Dayton (1770-1820) and together they produced seven children: Robert Woodruff (1795-1871), Daniel Dayton (1797-1877), John (1799-1804), Hannah Maria (1802-1827), Joseph Dayton (1804-1847), John Howell (1806-1869), and Jonathan Bailey (1808-1876).  Of these children, Joseph later became a minister like his father.  Aaron Condit later remarried Sarah Conkling on December 16, 1822.

In 1796 Aaron joined the ministry at the church in Hanover, New Jersey as a pastor until 1831.  At this time he moved in with his wifeís sister, Elizabeth Conkling.  He died on April 10, 1852.

Aaron Condit spelled his name without the "c", but has since been cross referenced with the spelling Condict.

 

Provenance Note:

This collection was donated in 1961 by Miss Jessie Condit, a decedent of Reverend Aaron Condit and of the Condit family line.

 

Scope and Content Note:

The Condit-Dodd Family papers spans the years 1757-1925, but the bulk of material dates from 1757-1851, and spans the lifetime of Reverend Aaron Condit.  These papers contain information relating to the Condit-Dodd family primarily as it relates to Aaron Condit.  They include a typed family tree, personal history of Aaron Condit, military commission, hand drawn map, indentures, and several land grants to Silas Dodd from various family members.

Also included in this collection are photostats of the New York Gazateer and Journalís continuing column, "Stage and Post."  This weekly column contained information concerning travel opportunities open to all who could afford the various excursions.  The trips were prearranged and mostly by stagecoach, making numerous planned scenic stops.

 

Related Collections:

Manuscript Group 67, Lewis Condict (1773-1862) Papers

Manuscript Group 123, Jemima Condict (1754-1779) Diary

Manuscript Group 252, Amzi Dodd (1793-1838) Papers

Manuscript Group 324, Ruth W. Condict (1798-1815) Diary

Manuscript Group 348, Lewis Condict (1773-1862) Diary

Manuscript Group 1177, Edward I. Condit (fl. 1872-1873) Account book

Manuscript Group 1359, Condit Family Papers

Manuscript Group 1387, Dodd Family Photograph Albums

 

Container List:

Box Folder Description Dates
1 1 Personal Papers 1769-1851
-Typed Family Tree
-Written Family History
-Hand Drawn Map
-Military Commission
-Indenture
1 2 Newspaper Articles 1785-1925
-The New York Gazateer and Country Journal
-New York Packet
-Gazette of the United States
-New York Journal and Weekly Register
Oversize
Flat File 4 Indentures of Land to Silas Dodd 1764-1814

 

Processed by Stephen M. Sullivan, November 1999 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

 

Submit a request to copy part of this collection

back




The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Contact NJHS
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society
Our Privacy Policy - Site Map

 

-- --

 

Search JerseyHistory.org:


Search Archives:

Browse the Archives

--

Title Line: