Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 527, Enoch Middleton (fl. 1830-1850), Mason and farmer
Daybooks, 1830-1850, 0.2 linear feet / 2 volumes
Call Number: MG 527
Two daybooks kept by a Philadelphia mason, who is later a farmer in Chesterfield, New Jersey.
Enoch Middleton (fl. 1830-1850) was a mason living in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania who worked in Burlington and Gloucester Counties, New Jersey. At some point in the 1820s, he had an apprentice named Nathan Hunt Conrow (b. 1808), who later became a farmer in Cinnaminson Township and Moorestown, New Jersey. Later in life, it appears that Middleton farmed near Chesterfield (Burlington County), New Jersey, and was a member of the Chesterfield Society of Friends.
History of Burlington County, New Jersey, Woodward, E. M., and Hageman, John; (Everts and Peck, Philadelphia, 1883), pg. 305.
The source of this collection is unknown.
The collection consists of two daybooks dating from 1830-1850 used by Enoch Middleton in his masonry and farming businesses. The first volume is a daybook detailing masonry work done from 1830-1834, and records the amount of materials such as bricks and sand used, the name of the patron, and the price of the job. Middleton’s customers included Charles L. Middleton (1802-1832) of Woodbury, New Jersey, William Middleton (1775-1831), Gabriel Middleton, The United States Fire Engine Company, Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, and Columbia Transportation Company. In addition, Middleton built the foundation for the "South Eastern Publick School," location unknown. Typical jobs include paving, the building of chimneys, bricking up windows, and laying foundations.
The second volume dates from 1839-1850, and primarily documents the pasturing of Middleton’s livestock and his family expenses. Typical purchases include bushels of wheat and rye, firewood, cattle, and sheep. Also contained in this volume is a floor plan of the house of Nathan M. Hendrickson (1810-1845) of Imlaystown, New Jersey, and a portion of a handwritten page of poetry.
Processed by Luis Delfino, December 2000 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society