Manuscript Group 590,
Josiah P. Knapp (1785-1862), Merchant Papers, 1759-1876 (Bulk
Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 590,
Josiah P. Knapp (1785-1862), Merchant
Papers, 1759-1876 (Bulk
dates: 1810-1848), 0.1 linear feet / 7 items
Number: MG 590
Certificates, an inventory, and other documents pertaining to
Knapp, a merchant from New York City and Chester, Morris
County, New Jersey.
Josiah P. Knapp (1785-1862) was a
lieutenant in the 2nd Brigade of the New York City Militia.
With his partner William P. Knapp, he operated a general store at 117 Chatham
Street in New York City under the firm name of J & W Knapp. Later, Josiah,
his wife Hester (1789-1869), and William P. Knapp owned property in Chester
(Morris County) New Jersey, where he was appointed a justice of the peace of
Morris County in 1836.
Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey,
Vol. 11 (1936), pg. 43.
The source of this collection is unknown.
and Content Note:
This collection consists of seven items
dating from 1785-1862, including certificates, bills of sale, a will, a
pamphlet, and an index of names. Four of the items pertain to Josiah P. Knapp.
· Certificate of Commission for Josiah
P. Knapp to serve as lieutenant in the 2nd Brigade of the Militia
of the City of New York, signed by Governor Daniel Tompkins (1774-1825), dated
April 24, 1810.
· Certificate of appointment as justice
of the peace of Morris County, New Jersey, signed by Governor Peter D. Vroom
(1791-1873), dated October 28, 1836.
· Bill of Sale, Josiah P. Knapp and
William P. Knapp purchase a dry goods store in New York City from William S.
Lewis. This document also includes an inventory of the store at the time of
the sale and is dated July 19, 1819.
· Bill of Sale, property purchased by
George S. Marschalk (1801-1860) from Josiah P. Knapp, his wife Hester Knapp,
and William P. Knapp, dated April 1, 1848. The property was located in Chester
(Morris County) New Jersey.
· Booklet, an index of names, 54
pages, some of the names under the heading "Belleville," not
· Photostat of the will of Abraham
Van Horn of Hunterdon County, signed by Cornelius Vanderbilt, dated 1759.
· Printed pamphlet entitled "The
Society for Establishing Useful Manufactures," written by C. T. Unangst,
dated August 7, 1876, detailing a water rights dispute between this group
and the Morris Canal Company.
Processed by Luis Delfino, February 2001 as part of the "Farm to City"
project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records
Submit a request to copy part of this collection
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society
Browse the Archives