Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 679, David Smith (fl. 1830-1861), Merchant Papers, 1815-1862 (Bulk dates: 1855-1861), 0.1 linear feet / 41 items
Call Number: MG 679
Deeds, mortgages, receipts, and accounts of a Newark merchant.
David Smith (fl. 1830-1861) lived at 6 Cedar Street in Newark, New Jersey where he was a member of Trinity Church. He owned a dry goods store called D. Smith and Sons at 214 Broad Street in Newark. In 1856, he rented it to a Mr. W. Williams, and his son, David W. Smith (fl. 1855-1862) subsequently opened a dry goods store at 193 Broad Street. David W. Smith ran this store until 1864.
The Newark City Directory, (Volumes 1850-1865).
Folsom, Joseph Fulford, editor, The Municipalities of Essex County New Jersey, 1666-1924, (Lewis Historical Publishing, 1925).
The source of this collection is unknown.
Broadside 39, To the Inhabitants of the City of Newark...G. Mitchell's Improved Safety Spirit Lamp
Broadside 40, Spring Trade Calendar John H. Kase
This collection of 41 items dating from 1815-1862 consists mostly of the receipts and mortgage agreements of David Smith (fl. 1830-1861). A number of the mortgages regard property on Market Street in Newark and involve David Smith, Elias Roff (fl. 1816), and Luther Goble (d. 1833), an early Newark developer. The receipts are typically for household goods and clothing from Newark businesses, and are made out to David Smith, David W. Smith, and Lydia Smith (fl. 1857). The collection also includes a rental agreement.
Processed by Luis Delfino, March 2001 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society