Archives Documents, Manuscripts, Maps, & Photographs
Manuscript Group 971, Newark Fire Engine Company No. 1, Newark, New Jersey
Minute Book, 1799-1801, 0.1 linear feet / 1 volume
Call Number: MG 971
Minute book including lists of officer and members.
The Newark Fire Association, the predecessor of today’s Newark Fire Department, was formed in February 1797. The association consisted of an engine company and a hook and ladder company, and later evolved into three engine companies. Company No. 1 used a new engine, Company No. 2 used the old engine, and Company No. 3 used the hose. The first officers chosen were: Hugh McDougall, Matthias Day, Caleb Baldwin (treasurer) and James Brown (clerk).
In 1854 the Fire Department was reorganized into 11 part-time companies. A decade later, at the time of the Civil War, the Newark Fire Association had over 500 members.
Newark Fire Department. Newark Fire Department (Newark, New Jersey: Newark Fire Department, 1977).
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection consists of a minute book kept by the Newark Fire Engine Company No. 1 from 1799-1801. The minutes document meetings from December 1799 to February 1801 in which the founding officers were elected and the rules of the organization established. Meetings were held on the last Saturday of every month.
Processed by James Lewis, February 2001 as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
The New Jersey Historical Society