Guide to the Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Graham’s Tavern), Elizabeth, NJ Records1765-1794MG 107

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary

Biographical Note

Scope and Content Note

Restrictions

Access Points

Related Material

Administrative Information

Container List

Account book

Guide to the Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Graham’s Tavern), Elizabeth, NJ Records1765-1794MG 107Inventory prepared by Kim Charlton as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Guide to the Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Graham’s Tavern), Elizabeth, NJ Records
1765-1794

MG 107



The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
(973) 596-8500 x249
© 2004 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Kim Charlton as part of the "Farm to City" project funded by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.

Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. December 2005. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Elizabeth, NJ)
Title: Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Graham’s Tavern), Elizabeth, NJ Records
Dates:1765-1794
Abstract: Financial accounts, with an index of 280 names, including William Alexander, Lord Stirling; Christopher Bancker; Elias Boudinot; Jonathan Dayton; Jonathan Elmer; Thomas Kinney; William Livingston, Jr.; Aaron Ogden; Matthias Ogden; Matthias Williamson; and Lewis Woodruff.
Quantity: 0.5 linear feet (1 volume)
Collection Number: MG 107

Biographical Note

Around 1760, a tavern was built on the corner of what is now Broad and East Jersey Streets in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The tavern was probably built by John Clark (1728-1771), who named it the Sign of the Unicorn and who ran it until his death in 1771. The tavern was located along popular stagecoach lines and thereby often frequented by travelers who might stable their horses, eat a meal, have a drink, or rent a room for the night. It was, however, also a place for local inhabitants to meet, eat, drink, listen to music or stories, talk politics, and hear the latest news. The tavern also contained a "long room" where meetings, vendues (public sales or auctions), and special sessions were held.

After tavern keeper John Clark’s death, his widow Sarah (Badgley) Clark (d. 1793) assumed control of the business. She ran the Sign of the Unicorn for about two years before she married one of the tavern’s patrons, William Graham (d. 1779), who around 1773 took over management of the business. During this time period, the establishment was referred to as Graham’s Tavern and was often a meeting place for revolutionary figures. Men such as William Alexander, Lord Stirling; Stephen Crane; Colonel John N. Cummings; Captain Elias Dayton; Dr. Robert Halstead; General Thomas Mifflin; and Matthias Williamson all patronized the tavern during the war era.

William Graham died in 1779, leaving Sarah, now the Widow Graham, once again in charge of the tavern. Although business was slow in the hard times immediately following the end of the Revolution, a new stagecoach line running from Philadelphia to New York and stopping at the Sign of the Unicorn (or Graham’s Tavern), revived business. After adding a new room to the tavern and increasing the size of the stables, the Widow Graham turned management of the business over to her son-in-law Morris Hatfield (1757-1820). Hatfield changed the tavern’s name to the Sign of the Two Lions.

Sarah Graham married a third time in 1791 to Robert Forrest (d. 1806) and, soon after, management of the tavern passed from her son-in-law to her new husband. After two years of slow business, Forrest leased the Sign of the Two Lions to Joseph Lyon (ca. 1864-1829). Lyon managed the tavern from 1793-1806, during which time Sarah Forrest died, Robert Forrest sold the inn to John Van Dyke, and Van Dyke in turn sold it to Lyon.

Joseph Lyon ran a successful business and in 1803 a new coach line opened that carried passengers from the Sign of the Two Lions in Elizabethtown to Elizabethtown Point where they could catch a ferry into New York.

From 1806 to 1809 Lyon rented the tavern to Robert Rattoone, who changed its name to the City Tavern. Rattoone was soon also involved in a new stagecoach line running between Morristown and Paules-Hook, which conveniently stopped at the City Tavern. At the end of Rattoone’s lease, Lyon sold the establishment to Lewis Rivers (1763-1828).

Upon gaining ownership of the property, Rivers tore down the old wooden tavern and stables and build new edifices. He ran the new City Tavern, now a brick building, until 1823 when he either sold or leased it to Captain Henry Van Dalsem. On September 28, 1824, under Van Dalsem’s management, the tavern reached a high point when it hosted General Lafayette who was touring through New Jersey. Two years later, the building was sold to Edward Price, who leased it to a Mrs. Meeker. Meeker converted the building into a boarding house, thereby ending its existence as a tavern. The building itself was razed in May of 1929.

Timeline of Owners and Tavern Keepers (tavern was built ca. 1760) Owners included: John Clark ca. 1760-1771; Sarah Clark Graham Forrest 1771-1793; John Van Dyke 1793-1796; Joseph Lyon 1796-1809; Lewis Rivers 1809-1823; Henry Van Dalsem 1823-ca. 1826; Edward Price ca. 1826. Tavern keepers included: John Clark ca. 1760-1771; Sarah Clark 1771-ca. 1773; William Graham ca. 1773-1779; Sarah Graham 1779-1789; Morris Hatfield 1789-1791; Robert Forrest 1791-1793; Joseph Lyon 1793-1806; Robert Rattoone 1806-1809; Lewis Rivers 1809-1823; Henry Van Dalsem 1823-ca. 1826; Mrs. Meeker ca.1826. The building was turned into a boarding house ca. 1826. Building was razed in 1929.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Content Note

The Records consist of an account book from the Sign of the Unicorn (or Graham’s Tavern) dating from 1765-1794. The accounts from the tavern itself date from 1771-1794, placing the volume from the time period when Sarah Badgley Clark Graham Forrest owned the establishment. The various tavern keepers during this time period were Sarah herself, her second and third husbands William Graham and Robert Forrest, and her son-in-law Morris Hatfield.

The volume itself contains the accounts of various patrons of the establishment. An account is labeled with the name of an individual and then notes date, drink or food purchased, and price. Patrons generally purchased such comestibles as brandy, grog, toddies, punch, and dinner.

The account book itself is in poor condition due to its use as a scrapbook by a previous owner. The pages have remnants of glue and newspaper on them, often making the account entries difficult or impossible to read. The pages of the volume are numbered, however, they too are difficult to read. The volume is not indexed.

For a list of patrons listed in the account book, see the article "An Elizabethtown Tavern and its Ledger," written by Elmer T. Hutchinson and published in Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society (ns: 14: 443-466, ns: 15: 84-95), available in the Library of The New Jersey Historical Society.

For a list of patrons listed in the account book, see the article "An Elizabethtown Tavern and its Ledger," written by Elmer T. Hutchinson and published in Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society (ns: 14: 443-466, ns: 15: 84-95), available in the Library of The New Jersey Historical Society.

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

There are no access restrictions on this collection.

Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.

Use Restrictions

Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.

The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.

Return to the Table of Contents


Access Points

The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.
Subject Names:
Alexander, William, 1726-1783.
Bancker, Christopher.
Boudinot, Elias, 1740-1821.
Clark, John, 1728-1771.
Dayton, Jonathan, 1760-1824.
Elmer, Jonathan, 1745-1817.
Force, John, fl. 1811-1812.
Forrest, Sarah Badgley Clark Graham, d. 1793.
Kinney, Thomas.
Livingston, William, 1723-1790.
Ogden, Aaron, 1756-1839.
Ogden, Matthias, d. 1791.
Williamson, Matthias H. (Matthias Hampton).
Woodruff, Lewis, 1754-1816.
Subject Organizations:
Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Elizabeth, NJ)
Subject Topics:
Bars (Drinking establishments)--New Jersey--Elizabeth.
Boarding houses--New Jersey--Elizabeth.
Revolutionaries--New Jersey--Elizabeth.
Taverns (Inns)--New Jersey--Elizabeth.
Subject Places:
Elizabeth (N.J.)
New Jersey--History--Revolution, 1775-1783.
United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783.
Document Types:
Account books.
Financial accounts.
Subject Occupations
Hotelkeepers.

Return to the Table of Contents


Related Material

Manuscript Group 198, Matthias Winans (1739-1782), Innkeeper Account Book

Manuscript Group 655, James I. Ackerman (b. 1772), Blacksmith and Innkeeper Records

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 107, Sign of the Unicorn Tavern (Graham’s Tavern), The New Jersey Historical Society.

Acquisition Information

Gift of Edward Ritter of the Ritter-Hopson Galleries in 1930 (M2339). Ritter, a rare book dealer, discovered the volume, which had been used as a scrapbook by previous owners.

Return to the Table of Contents


Container List

 

Account book

Box TitleDate
1 Sign of the Unicorn Tavern Account Book1765-1794

Return to the Top of Page

Submit a request to copy part of this collection

back

The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Contact NJHS
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society
Our Privacy Policy - Site Map