TABLE OF CONTENTS
|Creator:||Female Union School Association|
|Title:||Female Union School Association Ledger|
|Abstract:||Consists of a ledger including the constitution of the Female Union School Association, by-laws of the Female Union School and Association and the Priscilla Society, meeting minutes from 1822 to 1860, manager elections results, clippings, and lists of subscribers.|
|Collection Number:||MG 357|
The Female Union School Association was a charitable institution founded in 1822 "to establish a free school for the promotion of learning, industry, morality and piety among the indigent female children" of Newark. Known as the Union School House, it cooperated with the Priscilla Society, an organization devoted "to the institution of indigent female children in the useful branches of knitting and sewing." In 1850, due to the establishment of free public schools, the Female Union School disbanded, and its stock was transferred to the Protestant Foster Home Society of the City of Newark.
The vast majority of the subscribers and managers of this society were women, and the subscription list contains many prominent Newark and New Jersey names, such as: Mrs. Boudinot, Mrs. Smith Burnet, Mrs. Abigail Burr, Mrs. Coe, Mrs. Phebe Douglass, Mrs. Joseph Congar, Mrs. Theodore Frelinghuysen, Mrs. Luther Goble, Mrs. J.C. Hornblower, Mrs. William Pennington, Miss Emma Riggs, Mrs. Charles Shipman, Mrs. James Tichenor, Mrs. M. Van Arsdale, Mrs. Stephen Van Cortlandt, Mrs. James Vandyke, Mrs. James Vanderpool, and Mrs. O. Woodruff.
This collection consists of a ledger entitled, "Book of Records, establishing the Origin and Progress of the Female Union School, established at Newark, New Jersey, April 22, 1822," containing the constitution of the association; by-laws of the Female Union School and Association and the Priscilla Society; meeting minutes from 1822 to 1860; (when the school was a part of the Protestant Foster Home Society) manager elections results; newspaper clippings pertaining to the school; and lists of subscribers.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
|The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.|
|Burnet, Smith, Mrs.|
|Congar, Joseph, Mrs.|
|Freylinghuysen, Theodore, Mrs.|
|Goble, Luther, Mrs.|
|Hornblower, J.C., Mrs.|
|Pennington, William, Mrs.|
|Shipman, Charles, Mrs.|
|Tichenor, James, Mrs.|
|Van Arsdale, M., Mrs.|
|Van Cortlandt, Stephen, Mrs.|
|Vanderpool, James, Mrs.|
|Vandyke, James, Mrs.|
|Female Union School (Newark, N.J.). Association.|
|Priscilla Society (Newark, N.J.)|
|Protestant Foster Home (Newark, N.J.)|
|Charity Schools--New Jersey--History--Sources.|
For related materials in print on the Female Union School Association, see:
Bissel, Nicholas. (1974). "The Newark Female Union School Association. What Was the History of the Newark Female union School Association and How Did It Function?"
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 357, Female Union School Association Ledger, The New Jersey Historical Society.
Submit a request to copy part of this collection
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society