TABLE OF CONTENTS
|Creator:||Knowlton Township First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church|
|Title:||Knowlton Township First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church Records|
|Abstract:||Consists of transcripts of records belonging to the Knowlton Township First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church for the years 1765 to 1868. These transcripts were created circa 1900.|
|Quantity:||0.11 linear feet (5 items)|
|Collection Number:||MG 717|
The Knowlton Township First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church was first formed in 1765 under the auspices of the Dutch Reformed Church, which was then known as the First German and English Congregation. The German-speaking residents in the area had established this church so that services could be conducted in their native language. However, services were also in English, since the founding members' children had learned English, and did not speak German anymore. At first, the congregation's membership floundered; when it was admitted to the local Presbytery in 1800, the congregation grew dramatically. The board of trustees incorporated a new name for the church to reflect this change in denomination, and called it First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church. In 1802, a new church was erected on Knowlton Road (today's Columbia, New Jersey) to replace the log building the congregation worshipped in, which was replaced by a new structure in 1844. In 1900, the name of the congregation was changed to the Knowlton Presbyterian Church, which it retains to this day.
This collection contains the transcripts of records belonging to the Knowlton Township First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church for the years 1765 to 1868. These transcripts were created circa 1900.
Included are four copies of the transcript of the records, containing session minutes, membership lists, and records of births, baptisms, and marriages. Two of the copies are the records in their entirety, covering the years 1817 to 1868. The remaining two copies of the transcripts appear to be drafts, and span the years 1817 to 1853.
A transcript of the church register, covering the years 1765 to 1844, contains a listing of the births, baptisms, and marriages within the congregation.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
|The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.|
|First German and English Congregation (Knowlton, N.J.)|
|Church records and registers--New Jersey.|
|Knowlton (N.J. : Township)|
|Baptismal registers--New Jersey.|
|Birth registers--New Jersey.|
|Church records--New Jersey.|
|Death registers--New Jersey.|
|Marriage registers--New Jersey.|
For an abridged version of the church register in print, see:
"Knowlton, Warren County, N.J., Records of the First German and English Congregation," New Jersey Historical Society Proceedings, vol. 3 (1918): 122-128.
For related collections containing records of Dutch Reformed and Presbyterian churches and organizations in the same time period, see:
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 717, Knowlton Township First Reform Presbyterian German and English Church Records, The New Jersey Historical Society.
Presbytery of Newton. Proceedings of the Convention at Washington, New Jersey, November 20, 1867, to Celebrate the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Organization of the Presbytery of Newton, at the Mansfield Church, November 20, 1817. New York: Charles Scribner and Company, 1868.
|1||1||Records, 1817-1868 (Transcript): Copy 1||[ca. 1900]|
|1||2||Records, 1817-1868 (Transcript): Copy 2||[ca. 1900]|
|1||3||Records, 1817-1868 (Transcript): Copy 3||[ca. 1900]|
|1||4||Records, 1817-1868 (Transcript): Copy 4||[ca. 1900]|
|1||5||Register, 1765-1844 (Transcript)||[ca. 1900]|
Submit a request to copy part of this collection
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society