TABLE OF CONTENTS
|Title:||Presbyterian Church Records|
|Abstract:||Consists of record books from the Presbyteries of New York from 1775-1788, Morris County from 1797-1819, and Newark from 1824-1835.|
|Quantity:||0.04 linear feet (4 items)|
|Collection Number:||MG 839|
Organized Presbyterian worship in the New York and New Jersey area began in 1692, when Francis Makemie conducted the first Presbyterian service in Philadelphia. The mid-Atlantic region became a fertile ground for Presbyterian expansion, as New England Puritans, seeking respite from the Royal decrees for Anglicanism, moved there. They were reinforced by a wave of settlers from Scotland and Northern Ireland, who were very ardent Presbyterians. The Presbyterian Synod of East Jersey was created at a meeting of the Synod of Philadelphia in 1733. In 1738, the Presbyteries of East Jersey and Long Island were combined into the Presbytery of New York. Due to some philosophical differences, the Reverend Jacob Green and three other ministers withdrew their Morris County churches from the Presbytery of New York and formed the Presbytery of Morris County in 1780.
In 1808, the Presbytery of New York was divided once again, and the Presbytery of Jersey was formed. At a meeting of the Synod at Morristown in 1824, the Presbytery of Jersey was further split into the Presbytery of Newark and the Presbytery of Elizabethtown. The Presbytery of Newark consisted of congregations in Orange, Hanover, Paterson, Rockaway, Parsippany, Bloomfield, Wantage, and Newfoundland, as well as the three churches in Newark. Growth of the Presbyterian church in the area necessitated yet another reorganization, and in 1870, the Presbytery of Morris and Orange, including some of the churches which were in the Presbyteries of Rockaway and Morris County, was formed.
This collection consists of record books from the Presbyteries of New York from 1775-1788, Morris County from 1797-1819, and Newark from 1824-1835. The record books contain meeting minutes concerning Presbytery business functions, reports on the distribution of supplies, requests by congregations for ministers, reviews of candidates for the ministry, and proceedings concerning disciplinary actions and the sanctioning of members. Also included in the New York Presbytery records are transcripts of correspondence from ministers in the Morris County region, pointing out philosophical differences with the Presbytery and leaving to form the Morris County Synod. The Newark Presbytery record book also contains annual reports of communicants, baptisms, and collections per congregation.
These record books also consist of lists of the prominent pastors in each of the organizations. They include Amzi Armstrong, David Baldwin, Andrew Bay, Ebenezer Bradford, James Caldwell, Jedidiah Chapman, Aaron Condict, Elias W. Crane, Noah Crane, Erza Dayton., Samuel Fisher, John Ford, Jacob Green, Zachariah Green, Stephen Grover, Philip Hay, Asa Hillyer, Gideon Judd, Barnabas King, Alexander MacWhorter, Enos A. Osborne, and James Wyckoff.
This volumes are arranged in chronological order.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
|The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.|
|Armstrong, Amzi, 1771-1827.|
|Baldwin, David, fl. 1797.|
|Bay, Andrew, fl. 1775.|
|Bradford, Ebenezer, 1746-1801.|
|Caldwell, James, 1734-1781.|
|Chapman, Jedidiah, 1741-1813.|
|Condit, Aaron, fl. 1830.|
|Crane, Elias W.|
|Fisher, Samuel, 1777-1856.|
|Ford, John, 1787-1872.|
|Green, Jacob, 1722-1790.|
|Grover, Stephen, fl. 1797.|
|Hay, Philip C. (Philip Courtland), d. 1860.|
|Hillyer, Asa, 1763-1840.|
|Judd, Gideon N. (Gideon Noble), 1789-1860.|
|King, Barnabas, 1780-1862.|
|Macwhorter, Alexander, 1734-1807.|
|Osborne, Enos A.|
|First Presbyterian Church (Hanover, N.J.)|
|First Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)|
|Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of Elizabethtown.|
|Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of Jersey.|
|Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of Morris and Orange.|
|Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of Newark.|
|Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of New York.|
|Second Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)|
|Synod of Philadelphia (1717-1757)|
|Morris County (N.J.)|
|Clergy--New York (State)|
For materials related to the individuals or topics documented in this collection, see:
The source of this collection is unknown.
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 839, Presbyterian Church Record Books, The New Jersey Historical Society.
Jamison, Wallace N. Religion in New Jersey A Brief History. v. 13. Princeton, New Jersey: D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1964.
Manual of the Presbytery of Newark. Newark, N. J.: Presbytery of Newark, 1947.
The New Jersey Historical Records Survey Project. Presbyterians. Newark, N.J.: The Historical Records Survey, 1940.
Church Record Books
|1||1||Record Book: New York||1775-1777|
|1||2||Record Book: New York||1779-1789|
|1||3||Record Book: Morris County||1797-1819|
|1||4||Record Book: Newark||1824-1835|
Submit a request to copy part of this collection
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society