TABLE OF CONTENTS
|Title:||Milano Family Papers|
|Abstract:||Consists of photographs of Oreste Milano and his son Alfred, and photographs of Alfred's business, Milano's Court Press Print Shop, Oreste Milano's certificates of registration as a registered barber, and his obituary.|
|Quantity:||.05 linear feet/ 1 folder|
|Collection Number:||MG 1556|
Oreste Milano was an Italian barber who operated barbershops in downtown Newark for 40 years. He moved to Newark, New Jersey where he lived for 46 years, from Lioni, Italy. He began work in America with his brother, Americo Milano, shortly after the turn of the century. Oreste operated other shops on Washington Street and Market Street, and in 1920 established a beauty parlor in the former Goerke's Department Store. In 1927 Oreste opened a shop on Broad Street in Newark, which operated until 1941. His son Alfred Milano was the owner of Court Press Print Shop on West Market Street in Newark.
This small collection consists of photographs of both Oreste and Alfred Milano, pictures of the interior and exterior of Alfred Milano's Court Press Print Shop, and Oreste Milano's obituary. Also included is Oreste Milano's Certificates of Registration as a Registered Barber dating from 1945 to 1948, which is issued by the New Jersey State Board of Barber Examiners.
|The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.|
|Court Press Print Shop (Newark, N.J.)|
|Italian Americans--New Jersey--Newark.|
|Printing industry--New Jersey--Newark.|
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 1556, Milano Family Papers, The New Jersey Historical Society.
The source of this collection is unknown.
Photographs, Certificates, and Obiturary
|1||1||Photographs: Oreste and Alfred Milano||1934|
|1||1||Photographs: Court Press Print Shop||n.d.|
|1||1||Obituary: Oreste Milano||n.d.|
Submit a request to copy part of this collection
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society