Guide to the Hoboken Academy Report Cards 1910-1916 MG 1562

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary

Historical Note

Scope and Content Note

Access Points

Administrative Information

Bibliography

Container List

Report Cards

Guide to the Hoboken Academy Report Cards 1910-1916 MG 1562Inventory prepared by Stephen Yautz.

Guide to the Hoboken Academy Report Cards
1910-1916

MG 1562



The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Contact: NJHS Library
Phone: (973) 596-8500 x249
Email: library@jerseyhistory.org
URL: http://www.jerseyhistory.org
© 2005 All rights reserved.
The New Jersey Historical Society, Publisher
Inventory prepared by Stephen Yautz.

Finding aid encoded by Julia Telonidis. May 2005. Production of the EAD 2002 version of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Finding aid written in English.

Descriptive Summary

Creator: Hoboken Academy (Hoboken, N.J.)
Title: Hoboken Academy Report Cards
Dates1910-1916
Abstract: Consists of a series of Hoboken Academy monthly report cards for the student Eleanora Justin, spanning from the years 1910-1916.
Quantity: 0.08 linear feet / 1 folder
Collection Number: MG 1562

Historical Note

The Hoboken Academy, located on the corner of Willow Avenue and Fifth Street in Hoboken, N.J., was founded in 1861 by German Americans who wanted to provide a German language and culture oriented education system for their children. The school was divided into four separate departments: the headquarters for children under 6; the primary department; the intermediate department; and the academic department. Each department consisted of three grades. The first year's enrollment consisted of 250 children. It is believed the first kindergarten in the United States was founded there.

In the following decades, the school prospered and the building was enlarged twice. In 1934, the Hoboken Academy merged with the Stevens Prepatory School, which was established by the Board of Trustees of Stevens Institute of Technology in 1870 to be under their control and supervision. In 1950, the school changed its name to the Stevens Academy but closed 24 years later, in 1974. In 1976, the building was demolished to make way for a bank.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Content Note

Consists of a series of "Hoboken Academy Monthly Report" cards for the student Eleanora Justin, spanning from the years 1910-1916. Among the classes listed on the report card are: German (Orthographie, Lesen, etc.); English (Spelling, Reading, Grammar, etc.); French; Latin; Arithmetic; American History; Geography; Gymnastics; and Needlework. The report cards seem to span from Middle School years though High School.

Return to the Table of Contents


Access Points

The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.
Subject Names:
Justin, Eleanora.
Subject Organizations:
Hoboken Academy (Hoboken, N.J.)
Subject Topics:
Public schools--New Jersey--Hoboken.
Students--New Jersey--Hoboken.
Subject Places:
Hoboken (N.J.)
Document Types:
Report cards.

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 1563, Hoboken Academy Report Cards, The New Jersey Historical Society.

Acquisition Information

The source of this collection is unknown.

Return to the Table of Contents


Bibliography

"This Month in Hoboken History : February." Hobokenmuseum.org, 6 May 2005 < http://www.hobokenmuseum.org>

Heaney, John J. The Bicenntenial Comes to Hoboken. [Hoboken, N.J. , 1976].

Return to the Table of Contents


Container List

 

Report Cards

BoxFolderTitleDate
11Hoboken Academy Report Cards (39) for Eleanora Justin1910-1916

Return to the Top of Page

Submit a request to copy part of this collection

back

The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Contact NJHS
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society
Our Privacy Policy - Site Map