TABLE OF CONTENTS
|Creator:||Harmony Hollow Farm (Hopewell Township, N.J.)|
|Title:||Harmony Hollow Farm Collection|
|Abstract:||Consists of indentures, deeds, correspondence and other documentation relating to the repeated sale of the property once known as Harmony Hollow Farm, located in Hopewell Township, NJ.|
|Quantity:||.66 linear feet|
|Collection Number:||MG 1640|
Harmony Hollow Farm, located in Harbourton, Hopewell Township, Mercer County, NJ traces its history back to the early 19th century. The first known documents are land indentures between George W. Smith and Moses Quick dating back to 1805. Between 1805 and 1839 the farm changed hands several times. In 1808 a road was being built and the location of the property was a significant in issue with its construction. In 1827 Quick owed money to Philadelphian William Stevenson so a parcel of land was given to him as payment. In 1832 another small parcel of the land was sold to George Larason by Joseph Quick, Moses' son, and George W. Smith. In 1839 George W. Smith sold the remaining majority of the land to John P. Skillman. In 1843 a land dispute concerning the property line was settled.
It is unknown whether the farms changed hands during the period between 1843-1883 since there are no documents in the collection pertaining to this time period. In the following decades the land changed hands a multitude of times. In an 1884 Indenture the land was sold to Adaline Phillips, by Martha Leaning, wife of Joseph Leaning M.D. In an 1891 indenture M. Leaning sold the land to Charles H. Wilson. In an 1893 indenture Charles Wilson paid Francis Brady for another plot of land. In an 1894 indenture and bond John L. Wilson, son of Charles, and Oliver W. Titus made a land exchange/agreement. In another indenture and bond dated 1909 Ira and Emma Bainbridge purchased a parcel of land from C. Wilson. In 1912 Stanislaw and Agriska Sepiga were bound to Max Rednor for the amount of $1,400 which they used to purchase land from Joseph Johnson. In an indenture from 1925 Arthur and Martha Blackwell sold the land to George W. Hart and Edward P. Jones. By this time the farm was commonly known as Blackwell Farm. In 1931 Jones and Hart sold part of the farm to Theodore Veefkind. In a 1932 indenture Jones and Hart sold the remaining land to Edward C. and Mabel Rose.
In 1933 the previously mentioned Stanislaw Sepiga bought the farm and named it Sepiga Farm. He then sold it to widower W. Scott Prickett. That same year Joseph M. Roebling, and Col. Edward C. Rose bought the entire farm and adjoining land from Armitage Green. Documents suggest that the Roses sold the farm, or were going to sell it to a Cecelia Smyth, however the documentation is unclear. Finally in 1941 the Roses sold the farm to C.S. Harding Mott and Isabel Specht Mott and rennamed the farm as Harmony Hollow Farm.
This collection contains a variety of documents dating between 1805 and 1941. The documents include a large number of indentures and deeds relating to the repeated sale of the farm property. There are also a small number of bonds, correspondence, hand-drawn property maps, official county and state documents, surveyors documents, insurance and real estate forms, and a few photographs, of the farm house and property, ca. 1940s.
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Photocopying of materials is limited and no materials may be photocopied without permission from library staff.
Researchers wishing to publish, reproduce, or reprint materials from this collection must obtain permission.
The New Jersey Historical Society complies with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code), which governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions and protects unpublished materials as well as published materials.
|The entries below represent persons, organizations, topics, forms, and occupations documented in this collection.|
|Mott, C.S. Harding.|
|Prickett, W. Scott.|
|Quick, George W.|
|Roebling, Joseph M.|
|Rose, Edward C.|
|Harmony Hollow Farm (Hopewell Township, N.J.)|
|Acquisition of property--New Jersey--Harbourton.|
|Land titles--Registration and transfer--New Jersey--Harbourton.|
|Hopewell Township (N.J.)|
This collection should be cited as: Manuscript Group 1640, Harmony Hollow Farm, The New Jersey Historical Society.
This collection was donated in January 2005 by Clair Mott White.
|1||1||Land indentures, hand drawn property map||1805|
|1||2||Land indentures/deeds and correspondence, various owners||1808-1843|
|1||3||Land indentures/deeds, various owners||1884-1931|
|1||4||Stanislaw Sepiga, W. Scott Prickett land ownership/transfer documents||1933|
|1||5||E.C. Rose, Joseph M. Roebling land ownership/transfer documents: indentures, county clerk documents, real estate and insurance payments, surveyors documents, and correspondence||1932-1941|
|1||6||Photographs of Harmony Hollow farm and main building||ca. 1940s|
Submit a request to copy part of this collection
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society