Legal Resources for New Jersey at the NJHS
The following list outlines the various secondary sources and photographs within the library's collection pertaining to law and legal
matters in New Jersey. Also browse the archives finding guide of collections grouped by
"professions" (for lawyers) of the library to find any original documents, ledgers
and manuscript items pertaining to the New Jersey lawyers and law.
- Campbell, Edward Livingston, Lawyer; Judge-Advocate-General, Army of the Potomac; City Solicitor, City of Trenton
Biographical Encyclopedia of New Jersey, p. 312, 313
- Bello, Carla Vivian and Arthur T. Vanderbilt II. Jersey Justice: Three Hundred Years of the New Jersey Judiciary,
Newark, N.J.: Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1978.
- Boyd, Julian P. Fundamental Laws and Constitutions of New Jersey, 1664-1964, [Volume 17 of The New Jersey Historic
Series]. Princeton, N.J.: D. Van Nostrand Company, Inc., 1964.
- Corbin, Charles L. Rules of the New Jersey Courts: Comprising of the Rules of the Court of Errors and Appeal, Supreme
Court, Court of Chancery, Prerogative Court, Orphans' Court, Circuit Courts, Court of Pardons, and the U.S. Courts for the
District of New Jersey, Newark, N.J.: Soney & Sage, Law Book Publishers, 1898.
- Kensbey, Edward Quinton. Courts and Lawyers of New Jersey, 1661-1912, (3 vols.) New York: Lewis Historical Publishing
- Klein, Albert J. Criminal Law in New Jersey, New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 1953.
- McCarter, Robert H. Memories of a Half Generation at the New Jersey Bar, N.J.: The New Jersey State Bar Association,
- Miller, George J. Ye Olde Middlesex Courts: Establishment of an Early Court System in One of the Original Counties in
New Jersey, Perth Amboy, N.J.: H.E. Pickersgill, 1932.
- Records concerning the Morris County court house. (In New Jersey Historical Society Proceedings, [Newark, N.J., 23 cm,
n.s., V.8, No. 4 (October 1923), p.281-286).
- Smith, James M. and Paul L. Murphy, Editors. Liberty and Justice: A Historical Record of American Constitutional
Development, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1958.
- Whitehead, John. The Judicial and Civil History of New Jersey, Boston? : The Boston History Company, 1892.
- Halse, Albert D. Rededication of court house, County of Morris, New Jersey, 1956, [Morristown, New Jersey? 1956?]
- John Marshall College. Court houses and court rooms, United States and New Jersey: Their History and Architecture,
[Jersey City, N.J., 1937]
- Morris County court house, 1827-1977; historic 150 year old court house named to New Jersey state register of historic
places. [Morristown, N.J.: Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 1978]
Photograph Collection - Photographs/Postcards Of New Jersey Courthouses:
- Bergen County Court House, Hackensack N.J. (8 photographs - MG 1361 -Places, 16/6]
- Burlington County Courthouse, Mt. Holly, N.J. [1 photograph - MG 1361 - Places, 27/4]
- Camden County Court House and [Camden] City Hall, Camden, N.J. [1 photograph - MG 1361 - Places, 7A/14]
- Cape May County Court House, Cape May, N.J. [5 photographs- NJHS Photo Collection Folder MG 1361, Places 8/3:
Places - Cape May Court House, Cape May County]
- Cumberland County Court House, Bridgeton, N.J. [3 photographs-MG 1361-Places, 6/9]
- Hudson County Court House, Jersey City, N.J. [1 photograph-MG 1361-Places, 21/2]
- Hudson County Court House, Jersey City, N.J. [2 photograph-MG 1361-Places, 20/5]
- Hunterdon County Court House, Flemington, N.J. [4 photos-MG 1361-Places, 14/11]
- Mercer County Court House, Trenton, N.J. [1 photograph-MG 1361-Places, 44/6]
- Middlesex County Court House, New Brunswick, N.J. [1 photograph-MG 1361-Places, 27/19]
- Monmouth County Court House, Freehold, N.J. [1 photograph-MG 1361-Places, 15/5]
- Monmouth County Court House, Freehold [1 photo-clipping-MG 1361-Places, 15/5]
- Monmouth County Court House, Freehold [1 photograph in Souvenir (Postcard) Folder - MG 1361 - Places, 15/5]
- Morris County Court House, Morristown, N.J. [1 photograph - MG 1361 - Places, 26/5]
- Morris Co. - The Court Room, Date on Calendar Tuesday Mar. 28_ probably 1922 [1 photograph - MG 1361 - Places, 26/4]
- Ocean County Court House, Toms River, N.J. [4 photographs-MG 1361 - Places, 44/2]
- Passaic County Court House, Paterson, N.J. [4 photographs-MG 1361 - Places, 34/7]
- Theodore Roosevelt at the Somerset County Court House, Somerville, N.J. [5 photographs - MG 1361 - Places, 41/12]
- 2 Photographs of Plaque marking site of second Somerset County Court House, Somerville, N.J. MG 1361 - Places, 41/12]
- Union County Courthouse, Elizabeth, N.J. [1 photograph - MG 1361-Places, 12/10]
- Warren County Court House, Belvidere, N.J. [3 photographs - MG 1361-Places, 4/11]
Places Vertical Files
Buildings - Courthouses
Subject Vertical Files
Created 23 August 2000
The New Jersey Historical Society
52 Park Place - Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 596-8500 - Fax: (973) 596-6957
Copyright © 2001, The New Jersey Historical Society
Guide to Our Card Catalogs
Archives Finding Guides
Library Finding Guides