"The Asphalt Institute Presents New Jersey Turnpike Construction,"
The New Jersey Turnpike, one of the world's great highways,
was authorized by act of the New Jersey legislature October 1948. Mr. Paul L.
Troast was appointed by Governor Driscoll as chairman of the Authority, with
Mr. George F. Smith vice-chairman and Mr. Maxwell Lester, Jr. treasurer. Mr.
Charles M. Knoll was designated chief engineer.
The project was divided into seven sections and prominent
engineering consulting firms from throughout the country were retained to carry
out the engineering phase for the various sections. Although this highway is
118 miles long, little more than two years was allowed for its entire construction.
And the greatest concentration of equipment in road building history was necessary
to complete this enormous undertaking on time. The Turnpike was constructed
from the Delaware Memorial Bridge in south New Jersey following a route, generally
east on U.S. Highway #1 to a connection with the George Washington Bridge in
northern New Jersey.
With the construction of the Turnpike the corridor state
of New Jersey has furnished the large cities of the east a fast, safe, and efficient
means of transportation. And through these gates, millions of vehicles will
pass to one of the greatest highways of the world, the construction of which
marks the passing of another milestone of outstanding engineering achievement.